Thursday 6 June 2013

The Village

"The Village" (2004, M. Night Shyamalan, Blinding Edge Pictures, Touchstone Pictures) is about the inhabitants of a small, secluded village in Pennsylvania who believe that, after many years of peace, the creatures in the surrounding forest are beginning to venture into their homes to feed...


I'll admit my main interests in this movie are the awesome Sigourney Weaver (who I have much respect for as an actress) and also Fran Kranz (who I have a crush on!).


A quiet film with a lot of ye olde conversation and I'll admit to becoming a little bored at points. The so-called scary scenes are not much in comparison to some of my old favourites and it's hardly a gore fest.


But I liked it for the intrigue and if you can let yourself fall into the shoes of our blind protagonist, Ivy (Bryce Dallas Howard), some of scenes really have an excellent creep factor to them!

There's also some nice, down-to-earth family and friends moments that manage not to be too soppy.

In true M. Night Shyamalan fashion there are of course twists and turns in the plot. Nothing quite as shocking as "The Sixth Sense", but really good fun nonetheless.

My main issue with the film is that it's just not scary and they show way too much for the suspense to be properly built. But I'd watch it again, so that's something!

[Image: Blinding Edge Pictures]
 
Hani

No comments:

Post a Comment