Sunday 5 May 2013

Case 39

"Case 39" (2009, Christian Alvart, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Pictures) is a demon-spawn kind of film.

Emily (Renée Zellweger) is a social worker working 38 child abuse cases. She is handed yet another case; that of little Lilith/Lily (Jodelle Ferland) who appears to be being abused by her parents. Feeling that this case is particularly important, Emily steps in and soon becomes the actual guardian of Lilith. However, soon she begins to suspect that perhaps there was good reason for Lily's parents being the way that they were...

Starting off as a bit of a slow burner, I have to admit I was verging into boredom. There are a few scenes where the building feeling of threat is really effective, but I don't think the feeling of panic I was expecting was ever fully developed.

I think this film might have been better had I not seen "Orphan" first, which is a far superior adopted-child-is-actually-evil film. Although I can't fault the creepy acting from Jodelle Ferland in "Case 39", she really can jump from 'butter wouldn't melt' to 'I know too much and I will use it against you' very well.

I wouldn't say I didn't like it, but I'm glad I saw it on Netflix rather than bought it on DVD. It's just a little dull is all.


[Image: Paramount Pictures]
Lilith from "Supernatural" was much scarier, though
 
Hani

No comments:

Post a Comment