Wednesday 25 April 2012

The Exorcist

"The Exorcist" (1973, W. Friedkin, Warner Bros) is the very famous movie written for screen by the original author of the book, William Peter Blatty.

Again, the book is good. Check it out if you haven't before!

The movie is still disgusting to this day. I wouldn't say it is scary though by today's standards, unless you are religious.

As a props and prosthetics enthusiast, I have to add how good the make up and special effects are in this film! Definitely top notch, and still good to this day. Although, after seeing this movie, you will never eat pea soup ever again.

The story centres around a young girl, Regan (Linda Blair), the daughter of actress, Chris Macneil (Ellen Burstyn). Regan is possessed by a demon (the demon claims to be the Devil, it becomes evident to the priests that it is not). After going through the psychiatric channels, her mother eventually seeks the help of a young priest, Karras (Jason Miller) and an elder priest, Merrin (Max von Sydow), who has had dealings with this particular demon before.

Disgusting and loud, the demonic possession is perfectly captured. The plot sticks closely to the novel.

Ellen Burstyn gives an excellent performance as the desperate mother, fearing for her child. And Linda Blair is scarily good as Regan. I hear she received death threats for this movie...

I'm not a huge fan. I've got nothing against gore and brutal weirdness; I like "House of 1000 Corpses"! But I just can't get into this movie. It may be because I'm not religious, so I have no reason to connect to the fear in this film. Either way, it's a classic, so everyone should at least see it once.
 (Picture: Warner Bros)


No comments:

Post a Comment