Wednesday 18 April 2012

Let The Right One In

"Let the Right One In" (Tomas Alfredson, Bavaria Film International, ETFI, 2008) is the original Swedish adaptation of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel of the same title.

A very quiet and atmospheric movie with odd colouring. This film is a work of art. We follow the story of young bullied Oskar, a twelve year old boy who just can't fit in. He finds he has a new neighbour, 'twelve year old' Eli and begins making friends with her. Eli needs a friend too, because she is in fact not a twelve year old girl but a vampire of unknown age.

The themes of bullying and friendship are very strong in this flick, and the plot holds relatively truly to the book. Even where the movie veers out of book-plot, it is done well and without spoiling the story.

There are also some good gorey scenes (face-meltingly good, you might say!), some creepy cat scenes and some jumpy bits which allow this movie to remain on my 'horror' shelf. I found the book to be a real page-turner, and I was pleased to find that this movie kept me enthralled for the full 110 minute run time.

Aside from some creepy acting from the young stars, we also enjoy a cast of other interesting locals who's involvement in the story is sometimes heartbreaking. I especially enjoy the film's climax (I won't spoil it) which had me on the edge of my seat!

This is not your average vampire movie, but a story of young romance, childhood struggles and the need to survive. Even if you haven't read the book, rest assured the plot is not difficult to grasp and I'm sure if you're into slow-burning horror, you will enjoy "Let the Right One In".

I'll admit I have not seen the 2010 American remake, "Let Me In".... I saw the advert, you see... looked rather baws... even if it was a Hammer Horror! So I can't comment on a comparison between the movies, but I recommend giving this version a try!

 (Picture: EFTI)

No comments:

Post a Comment